Wednesday, March 18, 2015

✿ Dry Body Brushing ✿ My Experience ✿

Long time no see Chocobonbons ^/////^ 

I feel like it has been forever!!~

I'm extremely excited to finally do a blog post on something that has gotten my attention from a long time ago: Dry Body Brushing! I first came across this practice when I was browsing some beauty blogs and felt it was quite interesting. However I never got around to buying my own natural wood + bristle brush, so I never tried it myself.

Then a few weeks ago I was at The Body Shop and saw a body brush! I purchased it right away and was super excited to use it! It is made from 100% sustainable forests so even though the price was higher than average for such a brush, I still bought it. 

❉ History & Origins of Dry Body Brushing ❉

I came across a multitude of articles on the internet when I was looking into this beauty practice. From what I recall, body brushing is not a recent phenomenon. Although it has garnered a lot of hype over the past half-decade, body brushing has been around for thousands of years. 

The Japanese have used a traditionally rough wash cloth to scrub their bodies prior to their baths. The Greek scrubbed at their bodies with pumice stones to detoxify after a hard training session. Native Americans were known to have used corn cobs on their body to attain beautiful skin.

❉ The Benefits of Body Brushing ❉

Dry brushing's main goal is to stimulate your body's lymphatic system, which if done correctly, can lead to a plethora of benefits. Your lymphatic system plays a huge role in clearing out the toxins throughout your body and helping you maintain a strong immune system. The brushing motions also increase blood circulation.

On top of that, brushing your body's largest organ (skin) will help get rid of blockages and open up pores. People have testified to having less ingrown hairs after incorporating body brushing into their routines. It's also said that cellulite and stretch marks are reduced by evening out fat deposits.

❉ How to Dry Body Brush ❉

You can find many great videos and articles on the internet on the process of dry brushing, and sometimes you will come across varying techniques. This is what I do. Here are a couple of guidelines to keep in mind as you go about doing this routine:

1. You should always brush towards your heart because that is the direction your 
lymphatic system flows towards. 

2. Use firm strokes and apply gentle pressure. Your skin can be a little pink 
after a dry brushing session, but you should not be red. 

3. Focus on areas where there are a lot of lymph nodes. For example, 
behind your knees and on the insides of your elbows. 

4. Avoid your face! Your facial skin is too delicate for this treatment! Instead, you should try lymph draining facial massages instead :] I will do a separate post on this routine later.

5. Never brush your wet skin! 

Start with the sole of your left foot, brushing from your toes to your heel. Then do the same on the top of the foot. Next brush from your ankles up to the knees, focusing on the area behind the kneecap. Repeat on other leg. 

Brush up the thighs and glutes, focusing on problem areas with cellulite and stretch marks. Do your best to brush your back from the lower to upper portions (a brush with handles would be more convenient at this point). 

Then brush your arms from your hands to your shoulders, moving upwards towards the heart. Be sure to get that elbow bend!

Brush your stomach in counter-clockwise circles around your belly button. Be gentle around your chest area. And make sure to brush downward from your neck to your upper chest. 

This whole process should only take several minutes. It is a very easy routine to add to your lifestyle. 

Jump into the shower afterwards to wash off the loosened, dead skin and follow with moisturizer of your choice :] It's as easy as that.

❉ My Testimony ❉

I've got to say that I wasn't sure that I would write a post on dry brushing when I first started. I felt like this was a routine that may be beneficial, but would not yield stark, obvious results. Maybe it was something that I'd like to keep up with the placebo effect being enough for me. 

However, I was REALLY surprised. Okay, don't expect anything too amazing or drastic, or you'll be disappointed. But one day, I sat down on my couch to start a movie with my hubbie and for some reason my thighs really caught my attention! I was taken aback at how they seemed to have a super healthy glow to them! 

I asked my tubbie, "WHOA! Do you see this?! Do you see anything different in my skin?!" Of course he didn't. But I did! It's a very subtle difference, but one that made me extremely happy because I felt like my daily ritual was starting to pay off with results that surpassed my own expectations. 

Although I can't really comment on whether or not this routine helps the look of cellulite and stretch marks (yet), I absolutely do believe that this practice is doing something good for me. Ladies and gentlemen, if you've ever been curious about dry brushing, I highly recommend you give it a try and see the results for yourself. 



xoxoxo, Cindy⭐︎☽

✿ Hope you enjoyed my post & photos!! If you did, don't forget to follow with your social networking accounts to see updates and new posts!! :3 ✿ 

InstagramTwitterBlogLovinGFCGoogle+Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

✿ My Dearest ChocoBons ✿

How I love to hear from you!! Please leave me a comment with your thoughts on this post :3 and remember to leave a link to your blog so I can visit you too! ♡